13 October 2021
Cook the season with this beautiful butternut squash, shitake mushroom and walnut risotto. Created with home chef Adam Shaw from At Dad's Table, it's brimming with goodness and perfect to warm-up the whole family.
Here's how to create this colourful autumn warmer...
Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 400g arborio risotto rice
- 1 knob of butter
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 200g shitake mushrooms
- 100g walnuts
- 50g parmesan
1. Heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Peel and dice the butternut squash then place on a baking tray with a sprinkle of olive oil and salt. Roast for 15-20 minutes until soft.
3. Dice the onion and fry in a non-stick saute pan on a medium heat for a few minutes. Add the rice, mushrooms, garlic and a knob of butter then mix well for 2 minutes making sure the butter coats the rice.
4. Ladleful by ladleful add the stock to the rice until absorbed. This will take around 18-20 minutes. When almost all of the stock has been absorbed, add the roasted squash.
5. Dry fry the walnuts in a pan for 2-3 minutes then allow to cool. Crush them by hand then sprinkle over the risotto.
6. Finish with a generous grating of parmesan and serve.