10 June 2018
200 g butter (at room temperature)
200g golden caster sugar
4 medium free-range eggs, beaten together
200g self-raising flour
1 level tsp baking powder
For the Frosting
300g butter, room temperature
½tsp vanilla extract
2-3 tbsp Milk, cream or yoghurt
600g icing sugar
Colouring, essences & Sprinkles
Orange colouring with Orange essence and Gold sprinkles
Lemon colouring, Sicilian Lemon essence with popping candy sprinkles
Red colouring, salted caramel essence and hearts and star sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Line a 12-hole tin tray with paper cupcake cases. Have you 2 dessert spoons for portioning ready too.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and mix in well. Sift the flour and baking powder twice and add to the wet ingredients. Using two spoons, divide the mixture evenly between the paper cases.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cakes are well risen, firm on top and a nice light brown colour. Once cooked, remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make the frosting. place the butter, two tablespoons of the milk, cream or yoghurt (I used Sheep's Yoghurt to be different) and half the icing sugar (300g) in a large bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. Add the remaining icing sugar. If the mixture is too dry add a little more milk, cream or yoghurt. Too wet to pipe, add some more icing sugar.
- Once the cup cakes are cold. I divided the cream mixture into three, coloured and flavoured accordingly and decorated.
For piping - if you don't have already, please check out the Judge icing sets handy to have and great for cooking projects like this.
Credit to Chef Tony O'Reilly
You may also like to read: