27 September 2021
Ever baked an olive oil cake? Usually found in the savoury side of the pantry, this favourite kitchen oil is becoming a much-loved alternative to butter, with lots of baking benefits.
Olive oil keeps cakes deliciously moist for longer than butter-based recipes. The ingredient adds a beautifully floral yet slightly peppery flavour twist. Plus, it’s full of vitamins, antioxidants and good fats which make it a healthier option. Lots of baking pros!
For your first (or next) olive oil cake, try these mini fruity delights which bring together a sweet trio of lemon, mint and a lovely drizzle of blackberries. They're perfect for an afternoon treat.
Forage or shop ripe blackberries from August until the end of October in the UK.
Mini Olive Oil Cakes Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Mini Olive Oil Cakes:
- 250 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 120 grams white or brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150 ml olive oil
- 60 ml lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 250 ml whole milk
- 300 grams powder sugar
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mashed and sieved blackberries
- Lemon slices
- Fresh blackberries
- Mint leaves
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Grease the Mini Loaf Tin well with olive oil or butter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs until combined. Whisk in the olive oil, milk and lemon juice and mix until just combined.
- Sieve in the flour, add baking powder and baking soda. Fold until combined and smooth. Once all is added, be careful not to over-mix the batter.
4. Divide the batter evenly into the prepared tin. Optionally, you can press 2 fresh blackberries in the cake batter - for something a little extra special in every bite.
7. In a small bowl whisk together the powder sugar, lemon juice and mashed blackberries until smooth. (Add more lemon juice or water if you would like the icing thinner, or add more sugar if the icing is too thin).
8. Pour the icing on top of the cooled olive oil cakes and top with fresh blackberries, mint and lemon slices.
You can store the cake at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days (without the icing) or in a refrigerator for up to 5 days.