07 December 2021
Make your most amazing festive feast for family and friends this Christmas. Flavoured with beautifully in-season pomegranates and pistachios, this succulent porchetta recipe is every mouthful a delight. Serve with your favourite selection of winter vegetables and crispy roast potatoes for a truly memorable meal.
Pomegranate & Pistachio Porchetta Recipe
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 3-4 hours
- 2.5-3kg Pork Belly, boned and skin scored (your butcher can do this for you).
- 200g Pork Sausage Meat
- 2tbsp Pomegranate Molasses
- 50g Pistachios, roughly chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1tsp Flaky Salt, plus extra for the skin
- Olive Oil to drizzle
- 1tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1tsp Cumin Seeds
- 4 Cloves
- 8 Black Peppercorns
- ½ tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp Paprika (not smoked)
- Good Grating of Nutmeg
- Begin with the spice mix. Toast the whole spices in a frying pan until fragrant, then add to a pestle and mortar/spice grinder with the cinnamon, paprika and nutmeg and blend until fine.
- Mix the spices, salt, garlic, pomegranate molasses and pistachios into the sausage meat with your hands.
- Unroll the pork belly and spread the sausage meat evenly over the surface, leaving a 2cm gap at one of the short ends.
- Take the opposite short end and roll up tightly. Continue rolling until you reach the end.
- Keeping the pork seam side down, tie with string at 3cm intervals, knotting as you go.
- Lay in a large roasting tray and pop in the fridge uncovered, overnight to allow the skin to dry out.
- The next day, preheat oven 200°C fan and massage the skin with olive oil. Sprinkle with a little extra salt and rub this in as well.
- Turn the pork seam side up and roast for 15 minutes to set the roll in place. Turn seam side down and roast for another 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven to 130°C fan and cover the pork with foil so it is completely enclosed. Roast for a further 3-3.5 hours or until the juices run clear.
- Remove the pork and rest for 20 minutes before slicing and serving. This also tastes beautiful at room temperature.
- Serve with your favourite selection of winter vegetables and crispy roast potatoes. And enjoy!