06 April 2022
This roast chicken recipe is perfect to spice up your Easter while keeping it delicious for all ages. Black pepper creates a subtle heat while pink peppercorns add tang and Sichuan pepper finishes with a lovely, numbing effect. Paired with the zing of lemon and seasonal fresh vegetables, the dish simply sings of Spring.
Triple Pepper Lemon Butter Roast Chicken with Sauteed Spring Vegetables Recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours, including resting
- 1.8kg free range chicken, giblets removed
- 1 unwaxed lemon, zest and juice
- 75g unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp pink peppercorns
- ½ tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- ½ tsp salt flakes
- 5g wild garlic leaves or 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- 400g small new potatoes, halved
- 50g spring greens, shredded
- 100g asparagus, woody ends removed
- 100g broad beans
- 100g sugar snap peas
- 100g fresh peas
- 20g wild garlic leaves or 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 lemon
- Sea salt & cracked black pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Get a non-stick roasting tin with rack at the ready.
- Crush all the peppercorns in a pestle & mortar and finely chop the wild garlic using a sharp knife. Mix these with the butter, salt, and lemon zest.
- Carefully prise the chicken skin away from the breasts to form a pocket. Push the flavoured butter under the skin, reserving some to rub over the skin and thighs.
- Squeeze over the lemon juice and drizzle with a little olive oil. Pop both lemon shells inside the cavity.
- Roast for 60-70 minutes, basting after 30 minutes with any juices.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and boil the potatoes for 8-10 minutes or until just tender. 2 minutes before they are done, add the greens, asparagus, beans, sugar peas and fresh peas.
- Drain and refresh in cold water to halt the cooking. This can all be done ahead of time and stored in the fridge.
- Remove the chicken and loosely cover while it reasts, 20-30 minutes is great.
- Add the butter for the vegetables to a sauté pan or frying pan and heat over a medium heat. Tumble in the vegetables and wild garlic and sauté until warmed through. Add the lemon juice and any juices from the chicken then taste, season with salt and pepper and serve alongside the carved chicken.
Discover the Non-Stick Roast & Rack to enjoy this gorgeous roast chicken recipe at Easter.